Lisbon: Founded by
Discovered by YOU!
Hello and welcome to Lisbon, Portugal!
According to the legend, this great city was founded
the brave King of Ithaca and hero of Homer's epic poem, the Odyssey,
after he left Troy and departed to the Atlantic to escape the Greek
The origin of the name remains quite a mystery but it is certain
it was known by the Greeks as Olissipo and "Olissipona", a name that
was derived from Ulysses.
Later it became known as Lisboa
and it's also known as the
"city of the seven hills" an allusion to its curious geography.
What's this site about?
As you might have guessed, this site is about
I am building this site to show the world this
and invite you to discover it!
Here you will find valuable
tips and advice that only a local friend can give you
And best of all you'll find it here for FREE
This is not like other sites, that you may already have found
on the internet, which
written by persons who may only have been here once (others maybe not even
This site is written by someone who was born here and who has
always lived here - me.
So, what's so important about Lisbon?
Lisboa is the capital
and most important city of Portugal.
sunniest European capital! In fact, the weather here is
Lisboa is one of the
most ancient cities of the world and, as
you might guess, it has a very rich history.
I invite you to discover a city of brave men who dared
challenge the unknown sea and with their amazing courage and
determination gave "new worlds to the world".
Be amazed by the memories of our people and city that
Besides being of great historical interest, Lisboa is also a modern
(specially in the newly created Parque
with sophisticated buildings
and a vibrant culture.
Discover the amazing
that will certainly make you
want to take
thousands of pictures.
Look for the traditional city
that has centuries of history while
visiting Alfama, Bairro
and other traditional
Walking the streets of Lisboa, particularly
is a unique experience
You can almost breathe in the
and the traditions of our people.
Listen to the traditional portuguese song
transported to a new dimension of feelings that can sometimes make you
It has a nightlife
lots of bars, restaurants and pubs
you can spend some quality time with your friends or make new ones.
Discover the wonderful City
, the best things to do and places
to go with your
family and friends.
Have fun in one of the Festivals and celebrations, like the
Rock in Rio Lisboa or the Popular
What can you expect to find here?
All the information
you need to prepare for your stay in Lisboa and to get an insider's
view of the town.
Although this is a work in
here you'll find:
All this with the help of a local
I'm here to assist
and give tons of free information, so you
don't have to look for it in
In case you haven't made up your
mind, please find
out the reasons why
you should definitely visit us.
promise you will fall in love with the city and its
If you have already made up your
mind about visiting Lisbon, you can
find the information you're looking for by
navigation bar on the left or simply by entering your search in
I invite you to explore
this site, plan your trip
and come to visit us soon. Lisboa is full of surprises...
You won't be
Until then, check out the new
stuff I'll be inserting in this site and
to the Lisbon Insider e-zine to get the latest news and updates
directly in your mailbox.
Table of Contents
- Lisbon Blog
- The Lisbon Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the lisbon-tourist-guide.com Web site. Subscribe here.
- About Lisbon
- Want to know more about Lisbon? Quick facts and stats from one of the best cities in the world!
- Why Lisbon?
- Why Lisbon? I give you 10 reasons why you shouldn't miss it!
- Get to Lisbon, Portugal
- Find out the best way to get to Lisbon by plane, train, car, bus or boat. It doesn't matter how you choose to come. Just get here!
- Lisbon Map
- Take a look at the Lisbon Map. Explore it for more details or just take a look to see where is Lisbon, Portugal. More maps in the site.
- Weather in Lisbon
- Weather in Lisbon. Check out the typical annual weather and climate for Lisbon, Portugal.
- Lisbon Practical Information
- Lisbon practical information for the visitor. Never get confused. Everything you need to know is here.
- Lisboa Card (Lisbon Card) - Discounts for You!
- Buy the Lisboa Card (Lisbon Card) to get discounts and several free admissions in Lisbon
- Lisbon Safety Tips
- The best Lisbon Safety Tips from your local friend!
- Lisbon Dictionary
- The Lisbon Dictionary is here to help you understand what a portuguese word means or how to say an english word in our language!
- The Fado
- The Fado is one of the most unique and amazing musical styles of the world.
- Lisbon City Guide
- Use the Lisbon City Guide to find out about the best places to go while you're in Lisbon.
- Lisbon Attractions - Have a great time in Lisbon!
- Discover the amazing Lisbon Attractions and enjoy some world class entertainment.
- Lisbon Monuments - History waiting for you!
- Appreciate the Lisbon Monuments - pieces of history waiting for your visit.
- Lisbon Museums - Testimonies of Greatness!
- Discover the Lisbon Museums and let them surprise you by their quality and diversity.
- Lisbon Places where you must go!
- In this page you will find the Lisbon Places where you must go on your visit.
- Lisbon Restaurants
- Try one of Lisbon's Restaurants and enjoy a fantastic meal!
- Lisbon Sports
- What is the most popular of all Lisbon Sports? Find out here!
- Lisbon Metro (Subway)
- The Lisbon Metro (Subway) is the fastest way to travel around the city.
- Travel Links
- Check out the Travel Links Page to other valuable travel-related resources!
- Link to Lisbon Tourist Guide
- Link to Lisbon Tourist Guide and provide your readers with access to the best site about Lisbon, Portugal from an insider's point of view!
- Lisbon Site Search
- Lisbon-tourist-guide.com gives you the best local tips, advices and recommendations to discover Lisbon. Search it here!
- About Me
- What about me? My name is Marco and I was born in Lisbon, Portugal. I would like to be your local friend when you come to Lisbon!
- Contact Me
- Contact me for comments, questions or sugestions.
- Your Story in Lisbon Portugal
- Have you ever been to Lisbon Portugal? Share your stories and adventures!
- Contribute to Lisbon
- Would you like to share your knowledge about lisbon? Great, find out how you can submit your story or tip here.